Guidelines for Advising Interactions
Meeting with the student for the first time
- Put a face to the name
- Share contact information and office hours
- Talking Points
- Icebreaker - get to know students personally
- Go over responsibilities of advisors and advisees
- Share four-year plan and explain that the degree plan will be issued by the Registrar during spring term
- Provide any other advising and departmental resources
Following Up - Preparing for Registration
- Check on academic progress
- How is the student doing in their courses?
- What does GradesFirst say?
- What concerns have come up this semester?
- What kind of support does the student need this semester?
- Prepare for registration
- Does the student understand and feel comfortable with the degree plan?
- Does the student need anything else to prepare for the next semester?
The "Final" Step - Registration
- Questions to ask the student
- Have you thought about your classes for next semester?
- Are you going to pass your classes this semester?
- Are you aware of registration dates?
- Are your courses on your degree plan?
- Answer any questions or guide student to make informed decisions regarding their next semester classes