Peer coaches help students discover and hone the study skills that best fit their personal learning styles. Peer coaches will meet weekly with students to offer personal academic assessments to help improve study habits. Peer coaches work closely with Student Success Specialists to offer additional support to students.
The peer coach also follows the same documentation and requirement policies as tutors.
Just like a coach in any sport, the academic coach’s goal is to help students perform to the best of their abilities.
What coaching sessions can be like for a student:
- Participate in regularly scheduled, one-on-one meetings
- Receive assistance in organizing and planning your semester
- Have someone to keep you accountable to your academic plans
- Receive help with specific academic issues (test-taking, time management, etc….)
Appointments will usually last 30 minutes, and can be scheduled on a weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly basis. The focus and purpose of these one-on-one meetings is to provide
- Discovery - how you learn
- Structure - organizational skills
- Support - goal setting and encouragement
- Feedback - progress and growth
You will receive an email confirmation once your appointment is made confirming the time of your appointment. If you have additional questions please contact the CAE at (254) 295-4475.